Transforming a joint venture subsidiary.
A joint venture between AREVA and URENCO operating in the nuclear sector faced a significant business transformation challenge.
Against a backdrop of major change in its operating environment, the organisation had to down-size in a way that would not disrupt its ongoing work, would maintain its capability to provide the required service level with a reduced future cost base, and would also be socially responsible.
Collinson Grant was asked to help manage a project of fundamental business transformation. Over a two year period we worked at a number of different sites in five countries: the UK, the Netherlands, France, Germany and the USA.
The main parts of the project, on which we supported our client, were:
- the scope, objectives and potential financial implications of the proposed restructuring
- organisational design and reducing complexity, including:
- devising an appropriate organisation structure
- ensuring its ability to sustain its core competencies and to retain sufficient flexibility to scale up again if required in the future
- mapping a suitable geographical footprint
- simplifying business processes where possible.
- transition management, which included advice on the timing and duration of the different elements of change, as well as contingency planning.
- programme and risk management: putting in place appropriate decision-making authorities, corporate governance, consultation processes and risk assessment to evaluate different potential restructuring options.
- training for the project management team, as well as for people whose roles had changed.
- managing communications for different groups of internal and external stakeholders.
On ‘Go-Live’ Reinhard Hinterreither, the Chief Executive Officer, said:
‘The commitment and support of Collinson Grant was a key contributor to a successfully implemented restructuring process. Thank you’.